Any Al-Anon or Alateen member who is willing to represent the group at the district and area assembly, and who is not also a member of AA, is eligible to serve as Group Representative or GR. GR’s should have a basic knowledge of Al-Anon and Alateen Traditions and Concepts of Service and how they work.
GRs are elected by the group for a three year term (see the AL-Anon/Alateen Service Manual, pages 24-27, for information about electing group representatives.)
- Attends district meetings and area assemblies.
- Keeps members informed about information from the area delegate and the World Service Conference.
- Encourages members to subscribe to and submit articles for The Forum.
- Suggests participation in public outreach (public information [PI], cooperating with the professional community [CPC] and institutions) and Alateen service projects.
- Informs members of the need to become Alateen sponsors.
- Asks the alternate GR to attend district meetings and assemblies.
- Assists the alternate GR in serving as the area information service representative (ISR).
- Keeps the alternate GR informed to ensure the group is represented if unable to attend district and area assembly meetings.
- Explains the need for self-support at the group, district, area and world service levels.
- Consults with a service sponsor or trusted servants.
Dates to Remember
- Group Business Meetings
- District Meetings
- Area Assembly meetings
- Alateen Conference
Tips on Reporting Back to Your Group
- Take notes at district and assembly meetings.
- Request time from your group to offer a report.
- Be brief.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Focus on group needs.
As a Group Representative, you are the first link in a chain that leads to our World Service Conference. You elect a district representative from all the groups in your district. You elect a new delegate to our World Service Conference at the area assembly from among the district representatives and eligible officers once every three years.
Reprinted with permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc., Virginia Beach, VA